Bowl them Over
Goldcrest brings you a warming savoury soup for winter comfort
Tomato soup with balsamic and crispy bacon
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125ml (½ cup) Bertolli olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins Goldcrest Tomato Soup
- 1,5 litres chicken stock
- 10ml (2 tsp) sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10ml (2 tsp) balsamic vinegar
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, grilled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the onion and garlic on a roasting tray and drizzle with 30ml (2 tbsp) of the oil. Roast until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a large pot and bring to the boil. Add the onion mixture, stock and sugar together with the remaining oil. Season, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into 6 serving bowls and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Place a rasher of grilled bacon in each bowl. Crumble the remaining bacon on top and serve with the crackers.